Monday, February 18

gets me every time

This past weekend I decided to venture out into uncharted territory and do something productive, so I chose to organize my room. I was doing pretty well and made some significant improvements, until these came along:
(notice how 4 out of 7 are blue?? I've never even had blue as a school color)

My yearbooks weren't even in a location that needed to be organized. They were just sitting innocently on the shelf where they belong, and I went to put something away next to them which led to the mistake of taking one out. & we all know that you can't just look at ONE yearbook, you have to look at them all. Because you see your picture & think, man, I looked ridiculous that year, so then you have to compare it to all of the other years, & then you have to look up the rest of the pictures you were in for things like orchestra etc, and then read the thousands of signatures people left while laughing at the fact that retarded things used to seem so funny, and then when you're done being vain you have to look up the people you haven't seen in awhile and compare all of their pictures, and then you have to read the filler pages that no one really bothers to read before, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, once I touch the yearbooks any hope of finishing my cleaning and organizing goes out the window.

ANYWAY, the point of this is that now I'm in a school memory mood, so I'm going to share some of my favorite memories starting in 6th grade and going to 12th grade (because those are the years I have yearbooks for)

6th Grade
My pride and joy: Track-n-Field day. It was the one day out of the whole year that we got to wear shorts. YAY! It was a sacred day, and girls planned what they were going to wear months in advance. The whole day was dedicated to activities such as relay races, football throws, 50 yard dashes, obstacle courses, long jumps, etc. They gave out ribbons to the people that placed too & we ate orange slices and popsicles. It was AMAZING and definitely what I looked forward to the most.

7th Grade
(We didn't buy the picture from that year, so instead here's a picture of me looking lovely when I was that age)

My favorite memory: Pig pillows! I took home ec in this year, and LOOOVED it! I loved learning how to sew & eat cookies. I didn't like the actual cooking so much because we couldn't leave til everyone was ready & our kitchen was spotless, so I was always worried I'd be late when we cooked.

8th Grade
I'd have to say the funnest thing about 8th grade was the Orchestra Trip to Flagstaff. Friends, junk food, hotels, and hyperness will definitely bring about fun. We went to play in a festival, and we stayed overnight. I was roomies with Stacia, Christine & Bethany and we rocked that place. Plus we had some homeless looking person knock on our hotel room door asking to come in, and basically scare us to death. It was fun though.

9th Grade
My favorite memory about this year is being on the Track team. Track meets were always soo much fun, and I was just a long & triple jumper so I really didn't have to work too hard. Just enough for me to stay in shape. I got really bad shin splints, but it was still worth it. Oh, and we got free Gatorade on track meet days. How awesome is that??

10th Grade
I also don't have a picture from this year, so here are 2 pictures of my favorite memory:
The orchestra, band and choir got to go to San Francisco for the performing arts trip, and it was beyond fun. We drove in a bus the whole way there, which took forever, but lots of the fun came from the time on the bus! I was on the "cool" bus with everyone I knew, so it was a good time. We got to go to the Broadway version of Lion King, the Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, a baseball game, and a symphony. We also got to go to an amusement park called Great America, and if anyone knows me they know I love amusement parks. This was my favorite day there, and my friend Stacia, another girl & I went on a ride that is pretty much the closest I've been to skydiving. It straps you all together, pulls you up a million feet, and drops you so you fly superman style. I wish I had a picture of it. It was extremely awesome.
.
11th Grade
I can't say that it's my favorite memory of this grade, but one thing I loved is when I went to Morp as MIB. The theme was Out of This World and people were talking about going as aliens...so then I thought, hey why not be an alien fighter? So that's what we went as. Men in Black. (I'd say I was a Woman in Black but that doesn't sound near as cool.) We brought squirt guns as our props but they took them away when we got to the door. We basically had to bribe them to let us use them for the picture.
I loved my suit. I think it all cost a total of like, 20 dollars from the thrift store.

...and finally...
12th Grade
There's soooo much to say about when I was a senior, I don't even know where to start. There was the time when Kim & I stole the list saying who made the musical at 10:30 at night because we were hyped up on who knows what and upset because she didn't make it when she soooo should have. Did I mention that we hopped the fence to get to it? Because we did. We thought the police were gonna be after us. Then there are all of the times I ditched to go out to eat, run around fancy neighborhoods, go to the mall, go to Target, play in parks, etc. There were definitely times when I was afraid I was going to be audited. I was one of those people who had to go to school on senior ditch day. At least for part of the day. Then there's the extremely amazing orchestra trip to New York, or the time when Kim & I were determined to become professional ice skaters and bought our own ice skates, or when Kim, Brodie & I put on war paint and TPed a friends house....I really could go on and on. My senior year is definitely my favorite.
.
Well that's all. I'm sorry if it was hard to read because of my jumbled up thoughts and lack of writing skills at the moment. I'm turning this into a tag so everyone that reads it has to post about their favorite school memories!
Seriously, you're tagged, you're it.